Briiing Briiing Briiingo
Students learn simple telephone conversation English and practice it via bingo.
Submitted by Englipedia Archive
November 11, 2019
Estimated time: 15-30 min
Archived from Englipedia.
Originally submitted by Stephanie Leung / James Lee on Mar 25, 2010.
Using the phrases on the top half of the worksheet, check student's understanding of a simple telephone conversation and practice it a few times. Provide some example dialogues for the "English conversation" section. For example:
- How are you?
- Do you want to go/do/play...?
- Oh, may I leave a message?
After students have practiced it themselves a few times, JTE/ALT give each student a character card where they can stick onto the 'My Character' space at the top of the worksheet. This is their character that they will use to 'answer their telephone' when playing Bringo.
Students then choose nine characters from the grid and write the names into the 3x3 table. Once everyone is ready, the game begins by breaking the class into pairs.
First, the pair jankens to see who starts. The loser initiates the conversation, whilst the winner has a chance to guess who the character of the loser is. If that character is in their "Bringo grid", they can mark it off. The first student to find all nine characters wins!
- This activity can be done either in pairs or with students circulating around the class, changing pair partners each time.
- If your students take a lot of time, you can change the rule to once a student has one character crossed off on their bingo grid, they can become that character as well as their original character. This speeds up finding different characters and avoids too many students saying "No", which brings an end to each conversation.
- Make sure demonstrate with the JTE the simple way to hold a telephone conversation before you start the activity.
- Since everyone needs to complete the grid before starting, help out the low-level students so they can start at the same time as everyone else.
All content is provided under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 License.